Communities on the Move Declaration
Creating Smart, Fair and Healthy Transportation Options For All BC Communities
The BC Cycling Coalition is proud to be a part of the Communities on the Move Declaration, joining partners including BC Healthy Living Alliance, the Heart and Stroke Foundation and the Lung Association.
We strongly encourage organizations and businesses to support improved cycling, walking and transit by endorsing the Declaration.
In this important listening time leading up to the BC Provincial election, the declaration recommends a number of important measures for cycling including:
- A Provincial Active Transportation Strategy
- Provincial Government Investment of $100M per year over the next 10 years to support the development of local cycling and walking infrastructure within a larger provincial network
- Prioritizing the completion of connected cycling and walking transportation networks
- Developing an Active Transportation unit within the Ministry of Transportation to provide professional planning and policy expertise at the provincial level
- Investing in Active School Travel Planning and standarized cycling education for healthy, active children
- Reducing and strictly enforcing speed limits through cameras and other proven measures
Organizations and businesses in BC can strengthen this voice by endorsing the Declaration.
I call upon the Government of BC to enable everyone in BC to cycle & walk in safety as part of their daily lives by implementing an Active Transportation Strategy that includes:
- Investing $1 billion over the next ten years to:
- Upgrade cycling & walking facilities on provincial roads & bridges
- Complete cycling & walking networks in communities across BC
- Provide safe routes to school for children
- Build trails & routes for cycling & walking tourism
- Ensuring that paths & protected bike lanes can be safely shared by people using wheelchairs, skateboards & in-line skates
- Enhancing cycling education for children & adults
- Promoting cycling & walking
- Encouraging electric bike use by eliminating the PST & providing rebates