Ask your candidates to enable safe cycling for everyone, everywhere everyday by:
- Supporting the Communities on the Move Declaration for better cycling, walking and transit.
- Developing and implementing a comprehensive Active Transportation Strategy including investment, safe all ages and abilities designs and education.
- Investing $100 million per year over 10 years in protected bike lanes, paths, sidewalks and safer intersections.
- Updates to the Motor Vehicle Act including a safe passing distance law, 1.5m and reduced speeds.
- Universally available cycling skills training for children
- Making provincial roads, bridges and highways safer for cycling and walking
Please meet with your candidates and attend public meetings. Ask them for their positions on the above.
Now is a great time to contact your candidates to encourage them to commit to better cycling. Volunteering for their campaigns is also a great way to get to know them and talk about improving cycling.
Here are some more resources from the BC Healthy Living Alliance's Healthy Election Toolkit.
Election 2017 Information | Elections BC