The BCCC is seeking an individual to inspire, mentor and advise board members, staff and volunteers on individual engagement and fundraising.
It is an exiting time to be involved with the BCCC. We are preparing for a period of rapid growth and opportunity due to increased public, business and government interest in cycling.
The organization is in the process of transitioning from a volunteer based organization primarily focused on cycling advocacy to organization with staff support undertaking a range of initiatives in areas including cycling tourism and cycling education in addition to enhanced advocacy capacity.
Our advocacy priorities as detailed in our comprehensive Cycling Strategy for BC include:
- Increasing Provincial and Federal funding for cycling infrastructure and education;
- Improving cycling facilities on provincial highways including wider shoulders & separated paths;
- Improving maintenance and hazard removal policies and practices on highways, roads and paths;
- Building public, political and business support for complete streets with all ages cycling facilities with our Streets for Everyone initiative; and
- Changing to the Motor Vehicle Act to make cycling safer and increase legal protection for cyclists.
Our initiatives include:
- Cyclotouring BC, undertaking cycling tourism mapping, planning and marketing services and encouraging government and business to increase their support of cycling tourism;
- Kids on Wheels, a program to introduce preschoolers to balance bikes, cycling educational materials and bicycle related toys;
- Bike Sense, the guide to safe and effective cycling in BC;
- BC Bikes, Our annual conference.
These activities are currently lead by teams of dedicated volunteers. While grants are being pursued for initial funding for some of these initiatives, donations, memberships and other revenue from individuals will be critical to ensuring sustainable programs and healthily effective organization.
The Kids on Wheels, and Cyclotouring BC initiatives will provide opportunities for in person engagement. However, BC is a big province so engagement by social media, email and other electronic means is critical to achieving our goals as is partnering with other organizations.
We have just adopted Nationbuilder to better engage individuals and improve our fundraising capability.
This is a governance, leadership and mentorship position intended to instil a strong engagement and fundraising culture within the BCCC and our member groups. The Individual Engagement and Fundraising Chair will providing guidance on efforts to engage individuals in seeking their support for advocacy efforts, program support and financial contributions.
The role includes:
- Providing advice to volunteers, board members, staff and member organizations on engaging individuals;
- Advising on engagement and fundraising training for the board, volunteers and staff;
- Ensuring engagement and fundraising are an integral part of programs and advocacy campaigns; and
- Advising the board on fundraising consultants to retain should they be required.
It is anticipated that the cycling, consulting, construction and tourism industries will be significant targets of engagement and fundraising efforts. Contacts and experience in any or all of these industries would be an asset.
Experience and Skills
- A passion for making BC a better place for all ages and abilities cycling
- Experience with Nationbuilder or other similar tools
It is anticipated core duties will require 10 to 15 hours per month.
It is expected that there will be six board meetings per year plus the AGM.
There will also be an in-person all-day strategic planning meeting likely on a weekend.
Board meetings are in person in Vancouver and via teleconference for those outside of Vancouver.
Join the MovementSupport safer more enjoyable cycling in BC!
Sign up for our email news to keep up to date on our activities and to see how you can get involved.