The BC Cycling Coalition and our partner groups have completed a review of the MVA and submitted a list of proposed improvements reflecting the best practices of progressive jurisdictions to BC Government officials. As part of a comprehensive Cycling Strategy for British Columbia that includes accelerated investment in cycling networks, cyclist and driver education and improved maintenance of cycling infrastructure and roads, the BC Cycling Coalition has made recommendations to the Province to update this legislation.
The purpose of the proposed improvements are to:
- Provide greater clarity to all road users
- Acknowledge the fundamental differences between bicycles and motor vehicles
- Improve the safety of cyclists and other road users while improving the convenience and comfort of cycling
- Reduce conflicts among cyclists, pedestrians and motorists
- Provide better legal protection to cyclists and pedestrians in the event of collisions with motor vehicles
- Enable police to further focus their enforcement efforts efficiently on infractions that are the most likely to result in collisions, injuries and fatalities
- Conform with the practices taught in CAN-Bike, Streetwise and other bicycle safety courses.
These proposed changes include:
- Change of name of the act, as it applies to all modes, not just motor vehicles
- Specify minimum passing distance of 1.5m
- Legal definitions of bicycle lanes and separated cycling facilities
- Legalization of bicycle specific signals
- Allowing riding two abreast
- Removal or updated as near to the right clause
- Enabling cities to create blanket speed limits less than 50 km/h
If you are interested in getting involved, please volunteer.
Thank you for supporting safer cycling in B.C. Your letter really helps!
Your message below has been sent to mailer.to and copied to mailer.cc
Please help with this campaign:
- Share with your Facebook friends
- Tweet to your followers
- Email your friends. A sample email is below
Your donation will help us reach more people who are passionate great cycling:
BC Cycling Coalition
Please join me in helping to make BC safer for people who cycle and walk. Send a email in support of a Safer Passing Law requiring motor vehicles to pass those cycling and walking by at least 1.5m and other improvements to the Motor Vehicle Act.
Let the political leaders know how a Safer Passing Law and other changes would make cycling safer and more enjoyable for you and your family and friends.
Here is the message I just sent:
Tell them about your experiences of riding on BC's roads and dealing with traffic. It only takes a minute or two and will really help make a difference!