MP Johns Introduces National Cycling Strategy Bill
MP Gord Johns (Courtenay-Alberni) and Alexandre Boulerice (Rosemont—La Petite-Patrie) introduced a private member's bill to establish a National Cycling Strategy on October 4. The BC Cycling Coalition strongly supports a national strategy where the Federal Government works with the provinces and municipalities to enable all Canadians to safety cycle.
A Canadian Cycling Strategy will:
- Commit the federal government to set clear targets for the expansion of cycling friendly infrastructure;
- Encourage more Canadians to choose cycling as their mode of transportation;
- Improve national safety standard measures, such as side guard rails for trucks;
- Support the cycling industry in Canada;
- Increase education for cyclists, pedestrians and motorists.
“We need to do more to make Canada a cycling nation,” said Johns who has biked to work on Parliament Hill every day since being elected. “It’s time for a national plan to get more Canadians using this low cost, environmentally friendly, and healthy mode of transportation.”
From MP Johns
Many other OECD countries have already adopted cycling strategies and have seen a significant increase in cycling as a result. Canada lags behind in many cycling indicators, including the number of children who cycle to school which remains at 2%. Whereas in Germany, 15% of children cycle to school, and in the Netherlands 50% of children cycle to school.
A National Cycling Strategy will lead to a healthier society, more livable communities, safer cycling options, reduced congestion, and significant savings for our healthcare system. Additionally, Canada's unique landscape is a perfect draw for cycling tourism.
Please email the Honourable Marc Garneau, Minister of Transport supporting a National Cycling Strategy:
and cc these others including your local MP:
email@example.com, Amarjeet.Sohi@parl.gc.ca, Catherine.McKenna@parl.gc.ca, Jane.Philpott@parl.gc.ca, Carla.Qualtrough@parl.gc.ca, Gord.Johns@parl.gc.ca, Todd.Doherty@parl.gc.ca, Robert.Aubin@parl.gc.ca, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, local_mp_email
Let them know what safer cycling would mean for your family and community.
Sign up for Canada Bikes email list.
Support Our Cycling & Walking for Everyone Campaign
Your generous contribution will help us mobilize the support needed to convince the Provincial and Federal Governments to make bold investments in cycling & walking through:
- Outreach to organizations and businesses
- Petitioning to show the government that a lot of people support better cycling
- Meeting with politicians and staff
- Press releases and op-eds