The BCCC is seeking a person passionate about organization and detail to serve as the Secretary of our Board of Directors.
The Secretary is responsible for ensuring that accurate and sufficient documentation exists to meet legal requirements, and to enable authorized persons to determine when, how, and by whom the board's business was conducted.
In order to fulfill these responsibilities, the Secretary:
- Conducts the correspondence of the society;
- Issues notices of meetings of the society and directors;
- Works with the president to schedule board meetings;
- Works with the president on board meeting agendas;
- Keeps minutes of all meetings of the society and directors;
- Maintains all records and documents of the society except those required to be kept by the treasurer;
- Maintains a system of tracking motions passed by the Board and updates policy and other Society documents to reflect the decisions made;
- Is responsible for the register of members. Maintenance duties may be delegated to others;
- Updates policy, procedure and other documents to reflect decisions made at board meetings.
To facilitate the above, the Secretary proposes policies and practices and submits various reports to the board. The Secretary also fulfills requirements of a Director and Officer, and performs other duties as the need arises and/or as defined in the bylaws.
Skills and Experience
Familiarity and experience with Google Docs is required.
Experience with Nationbuilder, used for our website and membership management is an asset.
Previous board experience an asset.
The core duties of the secretary will require five to ten hours per month in addition to the time spent at meetings detailed below.
It is expected that there will be six board meetings per year plus the AGM.
There will also be an in-person all-day strategic planning meeting likely on a weekend.
Board meetings are in person in Vancouver and via teleconference for those outside of Vancouver.
Ideally the Secretary would attend the meetings in Vancouver but that is not essential.
Join the MovementSupport safer more enjoyable cycling in BC!
Sign up for our email news to keep up to date on our activities and to see how you can get involved.