The BC Cycling Coalition is seeking individuals dedicated to transforming B.C. into a fantastic place for everyone to ride a bicycle for transportation, recreation and tourism to stand for nomination to our board of directors at our Annual General Meeting on November 18, 2017 from 1pm to 3pm.
It is an exciting time to be involved with the BC Cycling Coalition. We are in a period of rapid growth and opportunity due to increased public, business and government interest in cycling.
Our advocacy campaign priorities are focused on encouraging the Province to implement a comprehensive Cycling and Walking Strategy. Specifically:
- Increasing Provincial funding for cycling and walking infrastructure to $100 million per year;
- Improving cycling facilities on provincial highways including wider shoulders & separated paths;
- Improving maintenance and hazard removal policies and practices on highways, roads and paths;
- Making cycling training universally available for children;
- Building public, political and business support for complete streets with all ages cycling facilities through working Streets for Everyone and other grassroots groups; and
- Changing the Motor Vehicle Act to make cycling safer and increase legal protection for cyclists.
Our initiatives include:
- Moving Active Transportation Forward in BC, engaging municipalities, government, organizations businesses and individuals regarding active transportation barriers and solutions in communities around the Province;
- CyclotouringBC, undertaking cycling tourism mapping, planning and marketing services and encouraging government and business to increase their support of cycling tourism;
- Kids on Wheels, an innovative program to introduce preschoolers to balance bikes, cycling educational materials and bicycle related toys;
- Bike Sense, the guide to safe and effective cycling in BC;
- BC Bikes, Our conference.
Experience and Skills
To move the organization and these initiatives forward, we are seeking people who are passionate about cycling to provide leadership, experience and advice in one or more of the following areas:
- Business Engagement
- Government Relations
- Organizational Development
- Membership Development
- Strategic Planning
We are also looking for board members with experience in government, non-profit organizations and the bicycle, tourism and consulting industries.
It is anticipated that board and related activities will occupy between 5 and 10 hours per month. Board members are also encouraged to engage in fundraising activities as time allows.
Application and More Information
If you are interested in becoming a director and would like more information, please contact:
If you are interested, please complete the Director Application.