Our Community Bikes is hiring Junior Mechanics. Some bicycle mechanic experience is an asset. Being open, receptive, and communicative is highly valued so that you may effectively help us create a safer space for positively empowering members of our community.
Applicants should be aware that our shop can be a challenging work environment in the peak summer months. We are continually looking for ways to afford to pay staff appropriate living wages for Vancouver. If you are interested in working for a sustainable social enterprise in a collective environment and have a passion for improving access to bicycling and DIY skill development, read on!
General Staff Responsibilities:
- Repairs work orders with some supervision and direction
- Assists customers with repairs
- Sell used and new bicycle parts
- Assess bikes for repair and advise on bike related questions
- Work with volunteers
- Participate in daily shop management tasks
- Answers e-mails: delegates requests, properly forwards / tags / filters / archives messages and follows through (where applicable)
- Attend monthly general meetings, and 2-3 monthly committee / other meetings (Floaters are welcome but not required to attend meetings)
- Coordinates / works at events, courses, in house programs
Staff members are accountable to each other and to the Board of Directors
- Some experience with bicycle repair
- Commitment to supporting our mission and strengthening our organization through visioning, strategic planning, and general organizing
- Commitment to open and direct communication
- Commitment to self-care and personal sustainability
- Commitment to social justice and working within a social enterprise
- Ability to multi-task in a loud, busy, and demanding (but fun!) environment
- Familiarity with e-mail, word processing, and office management
- Familiarity or experience with consensus-based decision making
- Well developed understanding of anti-oppression politics
- Submit resume, cover letter and availability to: email@example.com with the subject heading “Junior Mechanic Application 2018”
- Wage: 13.00 / hr
About Our Community Bikes
Our Community Bikes is a not for profit community bike shop that provides service and mechanical instruction to drop-in clients. We provide space, help, and tools so that people can learn how to build, fix, and maintain their own bicycles. We also recycle donated bikes and parts, and run programs to distribute refurbished bikes to people who face barriers to access cycling.
Our Community Bikes is an operating branch of the PEDAL Society. In addition to running our Main Street storefront, we also manage projects and programs in schools, at events and with community partners, operating throughout the year depending on need and available resources. Our shop is located in the Mount Pleasant neighborhood in Vancouver. Please check out our website for more info: http://pedalpower.org/
*PEDAL strives to cultivate a staff that reflects the diverse communities we serve. Preference for positions will be given to individuals who are typically underrepresented in the bicycle and bicycle mechanics industries (via patriarchy, white supremacy, colonization, heteronormativity, ableism, and other oppressions). We strive to offer work to people with diverse identities and therefore encourage women, queer and trans people, people of colour, people who live with mental health variations and/or addiction (a commitment to sobriety during operating hours is required), and people with disabilities to apply. The job involves working hands on with tools on bicycles, some reading, and participation in group activities. Our Community Bikes is wheelchair accessible (accessibility audit forthcoming on our web site) and we are open to adapting our space to make it as inclusive as possible wherever we may be falling short. Please contact us for more information if you have any questions about these efforts.