The BC Cycling Coalition is excited to offer four positions this summer assisting with our Kids on Wheels program!
We are looking for instructors and engagement assistants for our exciting balance bike program this summer! In this program, through the use of balance bikes (pedal-less bikes) and classroom activities, such as books, bike toys, songs and discussions, children are exposed to active lifestyles at the earliest possible age.
We are also looking for people who will help us with events planning of our Kids on Wheels Zones and in general help move the program forward, write reports and seek funding opportunities.
Duration: 8 weeks starting on June 10th or July 7th
Schedule: 30 hours per week - some weekends required
Compensation: $17.00 per hour
Positions available: 4
Location: Vancouver, BC
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Instruct or assist instructing the Kids on Wheels sessions to young children in daycares and community centres at different locations in Vancouver
- Assist in the coordination of Kids on Wheels sessions at local daycares, community centres and events, working closely with the Kids on Wheels manager and coordinator on site
- Help with preparations for each session including finding materials when needed
- Setup and tear-down of the biking course each day during sessions and in events, including carrying the bikes, boxes of helmets and other gear to and from the storage space
- Follow the curriculum of the Kids on Wheels program of biking and simple road safety, but staying flexible and able to improvise according to each group and child's needs
Coordination & Events Planning
- Plan and deliver Kids on Wheels sessions at community events (so far we have two events planned at Car Free Days on June 16th & July 7th)
- Plan, organize, and prepare materials required for outreach at events (print flyers, waivers & consent forms and sign-up sheets)
- Help coordinate and correspond with volunteers
- Recommend more events and figure out logistics
Research & Funding Opportunities
- Research funding opportunities for non-profit programs such as Kids on Wheels
- Create a database of grants and sponsorship opportunities
- Create reports that summarize the Kids on Wheels program for our sponsors as well as for individuals, business owners and stakeholders
- Data entry of new leads into NationBuilder using systematized tagging, and updating database with all outreach activities (training will be provided)
Applicants must be between the age of 15 and 30 at the start of employment. Must be able to provide a clear criminal record check as required for working with children.
* This position is part of the Canada Summer Jobs government program, and therefore applicants must be citizens or permanent residents of Canada, or be conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. All applicants must be legally entitled to work in BC.
Skills and Experience
- Passionate about cycling and have a basic knowledge of bikes
- Have some experience working with young children, are enthusiastic and comfortable around kids
- Open to new ideas and suggestions - able to follow the lesson plan while also staying flexible and able to improvise according to each group and child's needs
- Organized and have excellent verbal and written skills
- Reliable and responsible
- Able to work with others collaboratively and ability to work independently
- Able to carry a large number of small bikes and boxes with gear
- Available for week long sessions from June 10th to August 2nd or from July 7th to August 30th, mostly in the mornings and early afternoons and some weekend events (June 16th & July 7th availability are a must). The rest of the work is flexible and can be done at your own time.
This position will extend over 8 weeks with a possibility for extension or to start earlier, two periods are possible: June 10th to August 2nd & July 7th to August 30th. Positions are 30 hours a week, with required availability during select weekends. At the moment must be available to work all day on June 16th & July 7th.
Must have a laptop computer that can be used for BCCC work, office space can be provided.
Compensation: $17.00 per hour (30 hours a week for 8 weeks).
How to apply
Please send your resume and a short cover letter explaining why you are interested in this position to the program manager at email@example.com with "Kids on Wheels-Summer Jobs" in the Subject. Please indicate which period you are interested in. The deadline is midnight June 2, 2019.
We thank all applicants for your interest, however only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.