L.A. Advocates Call for $12 Billion Investment in Cycling & Walking
Advocates are calling for 10% of the 40 year $120 billion sales tax proposal on L.A. County's November ballot to be spent on cycling and walking Currently, only $5.4 billion is being proposed for cycling and walking.
Research from other counties and Metro's own "Strategic Plan" for active transportation estimates a funding need of $740 million to $1.7 billion per year for biking and walking projects, Butler said.
Walking and biking combined make up almost a fifth of all trips taken in the county and disproportionately account for nearly 40 percent of traffic fatalities.
Metro's ballot measure proposal would fund completion of the L.A. River bike path between downtown L.A. and the west San Fernando Valley and the City of San Fernando bike path along the Pacoima Wash.
$12 billion US is $15 billion Canadian. The population of L.A. County is 10 million or around 2.5 times greater than BC's making $6 billion the equivalent amount per person. Over 10 years, that would be $1.25 billion. Currently only 1% of people in L.A. cycle work, less than half the 2.1% in BC.
So, lets make the same kind of bold investment in cycling. Please sign the Billion for Cycling and Walking petition to help everyone in BC cycle for their daily trips. And please help us reach more cycling supporters by donating to our campaign!
I call upon the Government of BC to enable everyone in BC to cycle & walk in safety as part of their daily lives by implementing an Active Transportation Strategy that includes:
- Investing $1 billion over the next ten years to:
- Upgrade cycling & walking facilities on provincial roads & bridges
- Complete cycling & walking networks in communities across BC
- Provide safe routes to school for children
- Build trails & routes for cycling & walking tourism
- Ensuring that paths & protected bike lanes can be safely shared by people using wheelchairs, skateboards & in-line skates
- Enhancing cycling education for children & adults
- Promoting cycling & walking
- Encouraging electric bike use by eliminating the PST & providing rebates