Mayors & Councillors Pass Motor Vehicle Act Improvements Resolution
Great news! Resolution B102: Updating the BC Motor Vehicle Act to Improve Safety for All Road Users passed at Union of BC Municipalities (UBCM) conference. Thanks to the City of New Westminster for moving this resolution forward.
While this is a very important step forward, much work still needs to be done to help ensure that the BC Government updates the Motor Vehicle Act to make our roads safer for people walking and cycling.
Proposed changes to improve the safety and comfort of people cycling, walking and using a wheelchair include:
- Change of name of the act, as it applies to all modes, not just motor vehicles
- Specify minimum passing distance of 1.5m for people cycling, walking and using a wheelchair
- Legal definitions of bicycle lanes and separated cycling facilities to enable better enforcement against vehicles blocking bike lanes
- Legalization of bicycle specific signals
- Allowing riding two abreast
- Removal or updated as near to the right clause
- Enabling cities to create blanket speed limits less than 50 km/h
- A default speed limit of 30 km/h on local neighbourhood streets (no centre line)
More information on the proposed changes here.
Please write your mayor and council thanking them for supporting the changes to the Motor Vehicle Act.
Your generous contribution will really help our efforts to encourage the Government to make roads safer for everyone cycling, walking and driving. Priorities include:
- Decreasing driving by providing people with more cycling, walking and transit choices
- Safer speed limits on highways and in communities
- Increasing the number of red light cameras at intersections and using them for automated speed enforcement
- Automated speed cameras which could cut fatal & serious collisions by more than 1/3
- Cracking down on distracted driving with increased penalties and greater enforcement
- Doubling the number of roadside breath tests and significantly increasing penalties
Enter your Postal Code to lookup your Mayor and Council
Thank you for supporting safer cycling, walking and using a wheelchair through improvements to the Motor Vehicle Act. Your letter really helps!
Your message below has been sent to mailer.to and copied to mailer.cc
Please help us make BC great for cycling:
- Share with your Facebook friends
- Tweet to your followers
- Email your friends. A sample email is below
Your donation will help us reach more people who are passionate about safe cycling:
Please join me in helping to make BC safer for people who cycle, walk and use wheelchairs. Send a email in support of improvements to the Motor Vehicle Act (MVA) that will make cycling and walking safer and more comfortable.
Let your mayor and council know how improvements to the MVA would make cycling, walking and using a wheelchair safer and more enjoyable for you and your family and friends.
Here is the message I just sent:
Tell them about your experiences of cycling, walking and using a wheelchair in BC. It only takes a minute or two and will really help make a difference!