Investing in cycling will help create safer streets for people of all ages especially children & seniors, healthier more connected communities, long-term savings in health care & transportation costs and significant economic benefits for the Province of B.C.
With this in mind, the BCCC and our member organizations are encouraging the Province of BC to implement a comprehensive Cycling Strategy for BC that enables residents and visitors of all ages and abilities to safely and conveniently cycle throughout the province for transportation, recreation, and vacation. This strategy includes:
- Accelerated investment in cycling infrastructure and facilities;
- Improved cycling and road user education;
- Improved standards & more funding for maintenance and hazard removal on roads and paths used by cyclists.
- Amendments to the Motor Vehicle Act to improve safety and clarity;
- Reduced speeds in communities through lower speed limits and traffic calming;
- The implementation of a comprehensive cycling tourism strategy; and
- Legislation that gives municipalities and TransLink the authority to implement new funding sources for cycling, walking and transit improvements.
What You Can Do
Bring up cycling issues with the Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure and your MLA. Tell them what cycling improvements would mean to you, your family and community. Spread the word via social media and email to your friends, family and coworkers. Join the BCCC and your local cycling group. Subscribe to our email list to keep up to date.
- Write Hon. Todd Stone, Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure - Minister.Transportation@gov.bc.ca Tips on writing letters here.
- Write Your MLA - Find your MLA here.
- Call or Email Talk Radio - These parties have kindly listed the phone numbers & emails: NDP, Liberals
- Write a Letter to the Editor - Write a short letter or opinion editorial to your local media outlets on cycling improvements. These parties have listed contact info: Liberals, NDP
- Follow us on Twitter and Like us on Facebook to receive updates on our campaign and build our following. Follow your local cycling group.
- Join in on Twitter and ensure cycling is part of the conversation. Use the hashtags #BCpoli .
- Engage the parties: Twitter: @BCGreens, Liberals, @bcndp, @electbccp | Facebook: bcndp, Liberals, Greens