Our Community Bikes is seeking a full-time Communications and Event Coordinator.
Full-time (30 hours), Term (8 weeks)
This role will depend on and develop communications skills, exploring how to represent Our Community Bikes to the community at large. Duties will include designing online promotional material, printable posters and brochures, scheduling posts, heading up an online marketing campaign, updating the website, and implementing store signage as required. The Communications and Events Coordinator will also compile newsletters, and provide content and graphics for the donor program.
This placement will liaise with community partners to coordinate off site event presence. These events range from festivals to homeless outreach initiatives. At these events PEDAL will provide free bicycle tune-ups to a diverse and inclusive sampling of the community at large.
This position will support all PEDAL programming, and will effectively be aiding service to marginalized individuals, minority groups, LGBTQ2 identifying individuals, newcomers to Canada, persons with disabilities and youth at risk. The recycling and reuse of bicycles is also core to the organization's operations and will also be advanced through this role.
Required / Desired Qualifications:
- Experience with graphic design software
- Visual Merchandising experience
- Experience with social media platforms including hootsuite
- Experience organizing and planning events.
- Commitment to supporting our mission and strengthening our organization through visioning, strategic planning, and general organizing
- Commitment to open and direct communication with other staff
- Commitment to self-care and personal sustainability
- Ability to multi-task in a loud, busy, and demanding (but fun!) environment
- Familiarity with e-mail, word processing, and office management
- Well developed understanding of anti-oppression politics
- As this job is funded by Canada Summer Jobs, applicants must by be between 15 and 30 years of age, have been registered as full-time students in the previous academic year and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year
- Submit resume, cover letter and availability to: email@example.com with the subject heading “Communications Application 2018”
- Starting wage: 13.00 / hr
About Our Community Bikes
Our Community Bikes is a not for profit community bike shop that provides service and mechanical instruction to drop-in clients. We provide space, help, and tools so that people can learn how to build, fix, and maintain their own bicycles. We also recycle donated bikes and parts, and run programs to distribute refurbished bikes to people who face barriers to access cycling.
Our Community Bikes is an operating branch of the PEDAL Society. In addition to running our Main Street storefront, we also manage projects and programs in schools, at events and with community partners, operating throughout the year depending on need and available resources. Our shop is located in the Mount Pleasant neighborhood in Vancouver. Please check out our website for more info: http://pedalpower.org/
*PEDAL strives to cultivate a staff that reflects the diverse communities we serve. Preference for positions will be given to individuals who are typically underrepresented in the bicycle and bicycle mechanics industries (via patriarchy, white supremacy, colonization, heteronormativity, ableism, and other oppressions). We strive to offer work to people with diverse identities and therefore encourage women, queer and trans people, people of colour, people who live with mental health variations and/or addiction (a commitment to sobriety during operating hours is required), and people with disabilities to apply. The job involves working hands on with tools on bicycles, some reading, and participation in group activities. Our Community Bikes is wheelchair accessible (accessibility audit forthcoming on our web site) and we are open to adapting our space to make it as inclusive as possible wherever we may be falling short. Please contact us for more information if you have any questions about these efforts.